Frequently Asked Questions

How old do you have to be?

You need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 you will need permission from a parent or guardian. If you are under 25 then you will also need a financial guarantor.

What sort of driving licence do I need?

You need to hold a UK Provisional Driving Licence, and will also need to obtain a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) Certificate.

You can find out more information about driving licences here.

There is information about the CBT here.

What bikes do you have?

  • 50cc Moped
  • 125cc Scooter
  • 125cc Motorcycle

Most of our bikes are Yamaha machines.

What bikes can I ride?

  • If you are aged 16 you can only ride a 50cc moped. These are limited to approx. 30mph.
  • If you are aged 17 or over you can ride up to a 125cc machine if you hold a provisional driving licence and a CBT Certificate.
  • If you hold a Full UK Driving Licence and passed your driving test before 1st February 2001 then you can ride a 50cc moped without taking a CBT. You will need to complete a CBT if you would like to ride a 125cc motorcycle. If you passed your driving test after 1st February 2001 you will need to complete your CBT to ride any bike.

How much does it cost?

A 50cc moped costs £26 per week. We can offer a discount if you are using the moped to travel to full-time education. A 125cc scooter costs £38 per week and a 125cc geared motorcycle costs £40 per week.

The rental cost includes the use of the machine for up to 250 miles per week (excess mileage charged at 12p per mile), fully comprehensive insurance, road tax, servicing, a six-weekly safety check and the loan of a protective jacket.

Your first payment for a 50cc will be £113, £149 for a 125cc scooter or £165 for a 125cc geared motorcycle. This includes your first two weeks rental fees, a deposit equivalent to one weeks fees, and a starter pack that includes a lock, oil and chain lube if you need it.

Are there any other costs?

Apart from fuel, you will need to buy oil for your bike, and if you have a geared motorcycle you will need chain lube.

You will need a motorcycle helmet and gloves. We do not include these within the rental costs, but we have a full range of motorcycle helmets, gloves and motorcycle trousers at our showroom in Eastbourne.

You are responsible for any accidental damage to the bike up to our insurance excess of £350. This could include things such as a punctured tyre or scuffs and scrapes to the bike.

If you abuse or misuse the bike, or fail to carry out basic maintenance such as topping up oil or using chain lube then you may be liable for the full cost of any repairs.

Can I buy the bike I am riding?

Ride 2 Buy will be coming to East Sussex soon.